Fall is the perfect time to curl up with a warm, comforting meal. As the leaves change and the weather cools, you may be craving dishes that satisfy not only your taste buds but also your health needs. Did you know that some of your favorite fall foods can actually be good for your bladder and kidney health?
When it comes to urology health, certain foods can provide essential nutrients to support these vital organs. Here’s a list of comforting fall recipes that are not only delightful to taste but also beneficial for your urinary health.
1. Butternut Squash Soup
Nothing says fall like a steaming bowl of soup, and squash is known to calm an angry bladder. This comforting fall favorite is also packed with vitamins (especially Vitamin A and C) and fiber that promote a healthy urinary system.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add the squash, broth, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Blend until smooth and serve warm.
2. Apple Cranberry Salad
This festive fall salad is loaded with fresh cranberries, a known superfood for the urinary system. Apples add a crisp freshness (and plenty of fiber) while walnuts are high in arginine, an amino acid that relaxes smooth muscles like those in the bladder.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or dried
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Toss salad greens, apples, cranberries, feta, and walnuts in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and vinegar.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
3. Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
Get your pumpkin spice fix in this fiber-rich oatmeal that’s loaded with kidney-friendly flavor. Pumpkins are packed with potassium, which can help prevent kidney stones, and Vitamin A, which supports healthy organs and may lower your risk of prostate cancer.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- In a pot, combine oats and almond milk and cook according to package instructions.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, spice, and maple syrup.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
These recipes offer a satisfying and comforting way to enjoy the flavors of fall while taking care of your urology health. If you have a bladder or kidney condition that requires routine care, our intermittent catheters can help take the burden out of your bathroom time with a variety of sizes and styles delivered right to your door. Learn more here and contact us today to get started.