Winter’s chill brings many joys: snowflakes, cozy sweaters, and mugs of hot cocoa. However, if you’re an asthma warrior, the cold months might also bring something less joyful – like an increase in asthma symptoms. If you’ve ever wondered why your asthma feels worse during winter, read on to have your brrrr-eathing difficulties put to bed.
- Cold Air Constriction: When you inhale chilly air, your airways can tighten. Like the shivering of uncovered skin, it’s their way of trying to heat things back up. This reflex is more pronounced in those with asthma, leading to bronchoconstriction (a severe form of tightened airways). That means more wheezing and shortness of breath. Not the kind of winter surprise we were hoping for!
- Hello, Indoor Allergens: We all love to snuggle indoors during winter, but so do dust mites, mold, and pet dander. Many people with asthma also have allergies, and reactions can really ramp up your symptoms. The more time you spend indoors, the more you’re exposed to these potential asthma triggers. Your living room might be warm and comfy, but it can also be a sneezy, wheezy trap!
- Flu and Cold Season: Viral infections like the flu or the common cold can exacerbate asthma symptoms. And guess what? They love to visit during winter. It’s like they think your lungs are hosting a winter retreat, and they’re the uninvited guests.
- Exercising Indoors: Winter is the season of indoor workouts, but gyms can sometimes be filled with triggers like strong cleaning products or poor ventilation. Combine that with heavy breathing from your treadmill session, and it’s a perfect recipe for a potential asthma flare-up.
Frosty Tips to Keep Your Asthma in Check:
- Scarf Magic: A scarf around your nose and mouth is not just a fashion statement. It warms the air you breathe, making cold air less shocking to your lungs.
- Home Clean Home: Regular dusting and vacuuming can show those indoor allergens the door. Also consider investing in an air purifier or using allergen-proof beddings to reduce exposure.
- Flu Shot to the Rescue: A flu shot can be your shield against those winter-loving viruses. Protection is the best strategy!
- Exercise Wisely: If you’re indoor exercising, ensure the space is airy. Or, embrace the winter wonderland with outdoor activities. Just don’t forget the scarf!
- Always Have Your Rescue Medication: Winter is unpredictable. Always carry your rescue medications and stay on top of your prescribed treatment. With America’s Best Care Plus, you can stock up on all your essentials through our respiratory supply program to ensure you’re always prepared for unexpected flare-ups.
- Treat Underlying Allergies: If allergies cause your asthma to act out, our sublingual allergy drops can be a game-changer. They’re convenient, easy to use, and can address the root cause of those sneezes and wheezes.
Winter might be a wonderland, but it doesn’t mean your asthma has to go into overdrive. With these tips and the help of our supply program and sublingual allergy drops, you can enjoy the season with fewer wheezes and more winter carols. Learn more and contact our team today.