According to an estimate, one in 12 people suffer from asthma. Around 26 million Americans have been affected by this respiratory condition. It usually occurs due to inflammation of the air passages. As a result, the airways are blocked, and oxygen is not carried to the lungs. This is the reason why it makes it difficult for the affected person to breathe. You may get short of breath, coughing, and chest tightness.
Asthma is caused when a person is constantly exposed to allergens. This can be either animal dander, pollen or even dust mites. Each person is triggered by a different kind of allergen. Some allergens attack a majority of people. On the other hand, the same allergens may not affect other asthma patients at all.
Given below are some of the main causes of this respiratory disease.
- You might develop asthma if you breathe in a polluted environment.
- If you have been exposed to an atmosphere with excessive wood smoke.
- In case, you inhale perfume or other respiratory irritants.
- Along with that, airway irritants also cause asthma.
- Sinusitis, flu, or even cold may initiate this condition.
- If you have been living in extreme hot and cold weathers.
- If you suffer from bronchitis or any other type of upper respiratory infection.
- If you have gastroesophageal reflux disease, it may lead to asthma.
There is a vast majority of people who might be unaware that they suffer from this disease. However, with the help of few signs, you can identify it. Normally, the symptoms may appear at any time. In case, the attack is mild, it may last less than an hour. On the other hand, if the episode is severe, you may experience it for at least few days.
- If you frequently face difficulty in breathing.
- If you cough at night and nothing seems to work.
- If you start to cough more often during and after exercise.
- If you start to wheeze on normal bases.
- In case, you are unable to exhale properly.
- If you feel recurring cold in your chest.
- In severe cases, you might also feel significant stress.
No symptoms should be taken lightly. In case, you see even a minor sign, you should immediately visit the nearby healthcare center.
After diagnosing your problem, your doctor will create a relevant treatment plan. Usually, Anticholinergic is given to lessen the effect of asthma. This medicine can act as a quick relief for most people. In most cases, allergy shots also work wonders for the patients.
A Final Word
Considering all the factors in mind, it is evident that this disease can prove to be deadly. Therefore, you need to stay vigilant and avoid everything that may escalate the condition.
DISCLAIMER: The medical information on this site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.